Friday 8 August 2008

Bread Upma



I do not know why I get affected by things so easily (see previous post) ... but it is true that the zing has gone out my enthusiasm to post.

The weather could not have been lovelier .... dark, wet days with the light consistent rain this city is so famous for. And am rustling up some real hot delicacies in the kitchen.
Am happy to share these with hubby ... and sometimes close friends ..... cozying up in my crocheted throws .... (aaahhh .... got to add them too in my handiwork blog) .... watching across the huge bay windows of our flat ... which gives an excellent view of as far as eyes can see ..... we can see the rain approaching from the far off hills .... and with a hot cuppa .... and some good music ..... am in heaven. :-)
But much as I enjoy these snacks and meals ... I do not feel like sharing them anymore. Maybe I'll recover my trust again soon. Till then let this stay for posterity.
So am starting off again with a common breakfast dish. The bread upma is made in my house only to use up left over bread. Earlier I used make a sweet dish like shahi bread .... but since that takes a lot of deep frying .... and also uses a lot of sugar ... have completely stopped making it.
Need : Crumbled bread pieces, sliced onions,mustard seeds, curry leaves, a pinch of haldi powder, juice of half a lemon, a pinch of sugar, 1 tbsp cooking oil and salt to taste.
Whenever possible (read available in the fridge) I add vegetables like green peas, carrots, cauliflower, etc etc.
How to: Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the mustard seeds. When they start to splutter add the curry leaves and the onions. Fry well.
If adding vegetables add them now. Fry them well ... if needed cover and cook.
Now add the bread and haldi powder and salt. Keep tossing and add the sugar and lemon juice.
If needed sprinkle some water ... just to make the whole thing mix well.
Serve hot.

1 comment:

  1. wow,.u r backwith yumpost,..this looks yum..u can send this for breakfast event ..have added u in my blogroll so tht i don miss ur posts,..enjoyed readin ur post specially weather...part.//enjoy...ceeya hppy bloggin,..;-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.