- If a tablespoonful of cooking oil is added to any batter and a non-stick tawa is used, then almost no extra oil is need to fry chilas / dosas / pancakes.
- When storing Panch Phoron break a few whole red chillies into it. That way you don't have to add them seperately. Also add methi seeds lesser than the actual amount ... they can be very bitter if bitten into....say ... 1:1:1:1:1/2 .
- Always make sure to cover any chutney while storing in a refrigerator. That way they don't dry up fast and the flavours stay intact too.
- To keep dals safe from insects store them with a few whole black pepper or cloves (lavang).
- Whenever a dish has a dahi (curd) based gravy....always beat in a little besan (around 1/2 or 1 tablespoonful, as per the quantity of the dish) into the dahi. The dahi won't curdle .
- To store rawa(sooji) and groundnuts for a long time, dry roast them in a thick bottom kadai first. Cool and store.
- If not using maida, rice flour or besan very frequently, store them in the refrigerator. They will stay without spoiling for a very long time.
Tuesday, 27 May 2008