Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Dahi Aloo / Potatoes in yoghurt gravy

 Hello! Happy New year!
I know, I know. It's been a long time since my last post.
But I have been waylaid by a lot many things. And that left me with little time for Kichu Khonn.
But I came as soon as I realised that I hadn't made a single post this new year ... and it is already past a week.
Easier said than done.
I cook much less these days. I click even lesser.
So went back to my folders loaded with snaps that I had clicked once upon a good time and picked up these ... a quick scan confirmed I had not posted them .. yes, it has come to that .. I do not even remember things I've posted.
So here's a brand new recipe on the start of a brand new year.
Yesterday, a RJ on a station I was listening to, said that she has decided that she'll keep wishing everyone "Happy New Year" all through January ... till the 31st.
So, on that line, I guess I am not too late to wish you all a very happy new year ahead!

I had made this dish with yoghurt/curd ... yes. But I had also added a good dose of Tandoori masala to it.
Was undecided on a name ... so stuck to Dahi aloo.
You can call it the gravy version of Tandoori aloo ... sans the colour and the roasting.

Need :

Small potatoes - boiled in salt water and peeled
Ginger paste
Garlic paste
Curd - beaten with some water  till smooth
Haldi / Turmeric powder
Red chilli powder - a pinch
Tandoori masala
Kasuri methi - powdered
Salt - to taste
Cooking oil

How to :

Pick the potatoes with a fork.
Heat oil in a kadahi /wok.
Add the ginger and the garlic paste and fry well.
Add a little haldi powder and the potatoes. Fry well till the masala coats the potatoes.
Add some water and bring to a boil.
Lower heat and add the tandoori masala and the kasuri methi. Simmer for a while.
Then slowly add the beaten curd and do a taste check for salt.
If needed add some more.
Simmer for some more time, covered.
Remove from heat and let it stand covered for a while.

Serve hot with rotis or naan.

Ok ... I have lost Feedly too ... so am totally lost. I cannot hop over to your blogs as regularly.
So I apologize for being out of touch.
Will hop over to your spaces as soon as I get a good reader.
Till then do keep coming over and stay in touch friends.

Wish you all a very happy and healthy new year ahead!


  1. Happy New year. I love potato curries though i hardlymake them as we anyway use potatoes here like we use rice as a main carb. And the gravy looks so yumm too.

    1. You are right Finla. But these are new potatoes that we usually get only in winters ... so once in a while is ok I guess. :)
      A very happy new year to you!

  2. Dahi aloo is fingerlicking good.......Irresistible one.

  3. Hi Sharmila, happy new year! The aloos look amazing. I first thought this recipe might be a bit like Dum Aloo but this sounds very different and quite amazing.

  4. Thank you Vaish! It is indeed different ... you get the tandoori flavours but have a gravy too. :) And actually very light.
    A very happy new year to you too.

  5. This looks wonderful! Happy New Year! I had an aunty back home who made dahi aloo and it used to be so yum! This must be wonderful....

  6. Happy New Year, never too late!

    This looks like I will need to try soon.

  7. I like the use of tandoori masala in the dahi aloo. Looks good, S.

  8. Happy New Year. This aloo sounds delicious.


Thank you for sharing Kichu Khonn( a few moments ) with me in my kitchen!