Wednesday 9 June 2010

Rajasthani Dal Bati Churma / Baked Wheat Dumplings served with Mixed Lentils




An authentic meal of Dal Baati Churma is much loved in Rajasthan. Very simple and very rustic, this common man's food from rural India is very common to a Rajasthani or Marwari family. Not only is it easy to cook, but also is very filling and so makes a complete meal of grains, lentils and sweet at the end.

On our many trips to Rajasthan, we have eaten at numerous simple roadside eateries or highway side dhabas on our lookout for simple local cuisine.
Even though Dal Bati is readily available everywhere, I could not get myself to eat them outside just because they are prepared right there on the side of the road ... in slow embers of cow dung cakes. No, not even the heady aroma of the baked wheat could shake me.
Maybe that's because am not a Rajasthani ... so am not used to it. My Rajasthani other half enjoys them without any qualms. :-)



Back home, it is cooked under more 'sanitised' conditions ... plain baked in my good ol' oven.
And when do I make this meal? When am too lazy to go the kitchen to rustle up something ... or for a late Sunday meal ... or anytime when I want easy cooking as well as a quick home cooked meal.

To the recipes now.

Do not be daunted by the long post .. it takes just a while in the kitchen for the prep work. After that set the pressure cooker to cook and the oven to bake. And go laze. :-)

The Dal :

The Dal is commonly known as Dal Panchmela or Dal Panchmel. The reason being it is a mix of five dals.
Very simple with no masalas at all, this dal tastes the best when kept for a day and then eaten.
Many people add garam masala powder to it ... I do not. I love the taste of the each dal seperately, accentuated by a bite of ginger here or a green chilli there.

Just keep the quantity of the moong and chana dal less than the other three dals as they tend to soak up water more ... resulting in too a thick dal.
Check out the snap for an idea of the quantities.

Need :

Moong dal ( around 2 tbsp )
Tuvar dal ( 1/2 cup )
Chana dal ( around 3 tbsp )
Masoor dal ( 1/3 cup )
Urid dal ( 1/3 cup )
Onion sliced lengthwise
Ginger sliced lengthwise
Green chillies chopped
Jeera / Cumin seeds
Hing / Asafoetida
Haldi / Turmeric powder
Lal Mirch / Red Chilli powder
Lemon juice or Amchur/Dried mango powder
Salt to taste
Ghee / Clarified butter ( Can use any white oil too )
Water



How to :

Wash the dals and soak in a bowl.

Heat ghee in a pressure cooker.

Add the jeera, when it starts to splutter add the hing.

Add the onions immediately and stir fry for a while.

Now add the ginger and stir.

Add the dal, haldi, mirchi, salt and enough water.

Add the lemon juice or Amchur powder ... whichever you are using.

Close cooker and set on low heat for around 5 to 6 whistles.

Remove cover when cooker has cooled.

Give a stir ... add more water if necessary ... the dal should be thickish and not watery ... and simmer for 5 more minutes.


Serve hot.
Btw ... this dal goes great with rotis or steamed rice too.


The Baati.


Traditionally, Batis are roasted on open fire .... that is kept on low by not disturbing the ashes as they form.
Later, after the baking is done, the batis  are dunked to hot ghee so that they soak it up well ... and stay moist.
But I skip that part.
Instead I use the ghee while preparing them for baking ... so only the minimum of ghee is used ... and the aroma stays the same.

Need :

Whole Wheat flour - 2 cups
Salt - to taste
Ghee / clarified butter - 2 tbsp for the kneading and 1 tsp for rolling
Water to knead dough

A lot of people add suji or rawa to get that crumbly feel .... but it is not traditional.
I never use it. If baked properly, the batis will get their texture well.

How to :

Knead the dough as you would for chapatis/ rotis. It should be firm and not too soft.

Line a baking tray liberally with ghee.



Apply a little ghee on you palms, break off a medium sized ball from the wheat dough and roll it between your palms to give roughly roundish shape.



Do not roll them into very smooth balls .. let the surface stay uneven and broken ... helps it to cook well, lets in the ghee and gets some wonderfully crispy sides that taste heavenly when eaten with the dal.

Pre heat oven at 150 degrees C.

After keeping the baking tray in, set the temeprature to 120 degrees C.
Bake for 15 minutes and then flip the batis over.

Bake for another 20 minutes.


If you want them slightly brown, then grill them on high for around 5 minutes.

How to assemble :

Break or crumble the baati into pieces ... like so.


Douse it with the Panchmela Dal generously.


Mix well with your fingers ... what?! ... this is Indian food ... you have to use your hand and fingers.


At this point you can add a small dollop of ghee on it too.
And savour! :-)

Am giving the Churma recipe here ... no snaps as we ate up every single grain. Will post later.
For an idea you can refer to the Roti ke Laddoo.

The Churma

Need :

A few Batis
Sugar to taste ( it is a sweet dish )
Elaichi / cardamom ( optional )
Ghee ( yes, yes, I know ... optional )

How to :

Break the baatis (and the ghee + elachi , if using ) and run in a mixer for a coarse powder.

Remove and mix the sugar well.

Serve with the Dal and Baati.



Here's another look!

Enjoy all !

( I had promised in this post that I'll post this recipe soon. Just realiseed that inspite of making this very regularly at home, it took me two whole years to make a post. )

41 comments:

  1. Very traditional dish, looks like a delicious combo to have. I would drizzle some ghee on top of dal as I like the taste of ghee rather than dipping the whole Bati in ghee. Little compromise with old with new! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mouthwatering recipe. I wanted to try making Dal Bati Churma for a long time, your recipe is so simple, and the photos look so yummy. I must try it this weeken. I will let you know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious. Shramila this is one amazing and delicious bread. I am making as soon as possible. The dal picture is beautiful and I bet the taste awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good to see you getting back in form Sharmi...lovely daal..have never had with bati but am sure will taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ki korecho. amar to sei alpenleibe'r lalach aha lakpak ad er crocodile er moto abostha. eta amar most fav. tabe beshi khete parina karon dokane bhishon rich and heavy banay. specially puro ak balti ghee e dubie ane batigulo. tomar version khub healthy and sotti easy. thanks for this. ebare majhe majhei habe barite. between churma koi? ota tabe amar khub akta bhalo lage na. too sweet for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's past my dinner time but still haven't eaten as my daughter is completing her home work. So need I say more?
    As usual your photos are too good. And my goodness, you made this recipe sound so simple. I know there is some labour required...a dish so heavenly can not be that easy to cook.
    We had this sumptuous dish on our trip to Rajasthan before the kids were born and have been fans since then. My husband who grew up in Patna says that a Bihari dish called litti is exactly like that. I haven't had that so can't comment.You know I don't have an oven, don't you? So may be I'll make a trip to Pune instead...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the panchmela daal dish...very healthy one..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Asha! I'd do that too. :-)
    But since the balls are rolled with a little ghee, the aroma is retained ... so no need to dunk in the whole bati in ghee. :-)

    Thanks Madhu! :-)

    Thanks ISG! It is too easy to make and indeed tastes awesome. Try it. :-)

    Thanks Joyee! It does. Cooker boshiye felo. :-)

    Thanks Sayantani! Jani ... even I cannot eat the ones in the restaraunts. No snap of Churma ... we ate up every bit.
    You can adjust the sugar as per your taste. :-)

    :-) Aparna. Do come down ... you are always welcome. I haven't eaten litti too ... but am always fascinated by rustic rural food.
    And believe me .. honest ... it is just as much easy as I have said. Try the dal at least. :-)

    Thanks CBI! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one of my favorite rajasthani dish :)
    Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Though I had dal bati churma several times during my stay at Rajasthan and relished it but never prepared at home. You have prepared very nicely and it looks more beautiful and perfect than restaurant. Absolutely marvellous. I appreciate for your wonderful presentation with step by step mouth watering pictures. I feel like having it now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Reminds of the time I had daal-bati in Chokhi Dhaani.

    jaano Bihar'e litti hoye, something similar with a chaatu stuffing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, it's 7:30 in the morning and this post is making me hungry with one of my fav rajasthani dishes

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow - dal bati at home! Never tried it! Ate it at times in Rajasthan - its so heavenly !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Sharmila,
    Just bumped into ur wonderful blog...
    I luv dal batti...n ur recipe got me glued to ur page.
    Too good.
    N good click too.
    Between a food blogger fm down under.
    Cheers.
    www.myrecipegalore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sharmilla, girl you made me crave for dal baati now.
    In MP we call them dal bafla. The bati is first boiled in salted water and then cooked in dried cow dung patties. I know it seems unhygenic but I have grown up eating them that way and the taste is beyond comaprison. They are cooked in the ambers of the patties so there is no residual smell just the smoky flavor. And the dunked ghee is obviously the cherry on the ice cream. :) Of course I try to squeeze all the ghee out of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Parita! :-)

    Thanks Babli! It is really very easy ... give it a try ... perfect when u don't feel like cooking elaborate something. :-)

    Thanks Pree! I have heard about litti, never got to taste it though. I like the Choki Dhani here better than the one in Jaipur. :-)

    Thanks I! Go ahead .. make some today for lunch. Or better ... come over. ;-)

    Thanks Somoo! Try it once. :-)

    Thanks Chetana! And welcome. :-)

    Thanks Jaya! Right ... bafla .. I have heard the name. Most Rajasthani restaraunts serve that. I am a Bengali so am a little sqeaumish about the cooking process ... my Rajasthani hubby enjoys them though. :-)
    Ah .. love that smoky flavour with the ghee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Was new to me Sharmila..looks like very regional traditional one..I'd love to have it with lotssss of ghee..:D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never thought of making this at home. tumi koto sohog kore lik-hae-cho...chobi gulo dekhe bhalo laglo. Last time Jaipur gaechilam, tokhon kechilam...
    So you are back with full gusto?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. My favorite dish looks so tempting yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Sharmila
    SImp;y great..it has been ages since I ate Dal, bati. I used to travel a lot to Jaipur and Alwar and I always used to eat this.
    I have never eaten an oven baked Bati. But nowadays I heard some food joints are shifting to oven baking.
    But I will not compromise on ghee quantity. I want the dal, the bati and churma to float on ghee else I wont eat. ha ha
    Fantastic clicks as usual
    Bhalo theko

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Varsha! So do I. :p

    Thanks Gouridi! Am trying my best. Can't wait to have fish ... and post it too. :-)

    Thanks Rekha! :-)

    Thanks Ushnishda! That's the spirit. When it comes to authentic taste ... no compromising. Jaipur ... especially the interiors & Jodhpur have some very good places for authentic Marwari cuisine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such authentic preparation Sharmila...just love daal baati churma..yours have come out very nice..I liked the idea of adding just the requirements and not the garam masala..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very tasty looking batis. You just reminded me that I haven't made this for ages.

    I boil it in hot water till it floats before baking/frying, otherwise recipe is the same. I too have had the traditional style long back with the batis kept dunked in ghee. I remember it tasted great too:), but I would rather have the baked version!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sharmila, I tried it out today. It turned out yummy. If you get time, please check out the photo on my blog. I have one question though. You mentioned that the Bati has to be baked for around one and a half hour in 100 C. Converting it to Fahrenheit, I baked at 220 F but it took around three hours for the Bati to turn slightly brown and be cooked completely inside. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  25. jodiyo O ami break niyechi,kinto eto delicious recipe dekhe r thakte parlaam na :)..
    Litti in Bihar is something quite similar with bati..ami litti kheyechilaam amaar ek bondhor barite ..darun hoye ebong it is cooked over coal pieces in a balti chulha if you can picturise that what I mean to say..this looks so delicious..chobi protek ta mouth-watering hoyeche :)..
    and Sayantani..baap rey! ami ROFL holaam tumaar comment ta pore...

    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it..my family fav..lovely pics..looks divine...
    first time here...u have a lovely space...just started blogging..and love to add u in my list..
    ur comments/suggestions r highly appreciated..happy blogging...following u>>>>>>



    sanyuktagour(bayes)
    http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummy yum...as I said I simply love this ....looks so delish..ahh am tempted to cook now

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks A2Z! I find garam masala overwhelms the basic flavours sometimes ... so never use it unless there is a lot of onions or garlic being used.:-)

    Thanks Madhu! Sometimes the temp depends on the make of the ovens. But if the batis have come out ok ... then no probs. Stick to your way. No mistakes ... cooking is all about experimenting and adapting. :-)
    Give me your mail id .. there's something to let you know.

    Thanks Harini! Yeah ... like Jaya W. said ... they are baflas. Boiling cuts down the baking time. Me too like the baked version. :-)

    Thanks Jaya! Break e o eshecho ... khub bhalo laglo. :-)
    Ebar litti try korte e hobe ... eto shunchi. Balti chulha I understand .. coal pieces e cooking is also acceptable ... kintu ghunte te rekhe ranna kora jinish ami kichutei khete parini. :-)

    Thanks Sanyukta! Welcome and happy blogging! :-)

    Thanks Priti! Give them a try ... very easy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh Goddess, I bow to thee. WIll u come visit us in Sydney? I love people who make varied recipes. And dal bati churma is a personal fav. I never attempted it thinking it requires too much ghee in the bati. but we always have the option of using less :D. I am most certainly making this.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lol KG. Thank you! :-)
    Not too much ghee at all .. only as much as I have mentioned in the baking part ... or maybe less .. and the taste stays the same. Do try it ... you'll love 'making' it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow that dal bati churma looks really tempting... you have a very nice blog...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dal Bati dekhei khide pache. Ami khai ni kokhono kintu bati dekhle amar khasta kachori'r katha mone hoche. Oto ghee lage na bolcho, ami bhabtam totally dunked in ghee.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very interesting. I haven't tasted anything like this. Shows how limited my knowledge is!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Incredible, Sharmila! Not only does this look amazing, but you made the batis healthier by baking them-- kudos!
    I wish I could just go home now and make these!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks Anisheetu! :-)

    Thanks Sandeepa! Traditionally they are dunked in ghee ... I just apply it on them before baking for that aroma .. no change in taste. :-)

    Thanks Anudivya! It is traditional Rajasthani meal. :-)

    Thanks Vaishali! Give them a try ... they are perfect to make at the end of a tired day ... do not need much tending to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a comforting meal...absolutely loved these healthy combo' thanks for the recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very traditional ;-) You have done it so well even without dunking the bati in the ghee. Shamrmila amar ei combination ta ekdom bhalo laage na. I tried to like it but cannot. I can eat the bati my itself once in a while and the churma too, but not together ;-) maybe becoz i am not a "Rajasthani". A would love this. A r barite they make it the very spicy arhar dal which I hate :-( I like your version of dal way better. I am mean and haven't made it for him yet. i guess i should learn from you and make it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks Malar! :-)

    Thanks Soma! I'll let you in on a secret ... I do not eat batis too but my hubby loves them ... and I make them coz they are so easy to make. I love this dal with rice. Give this a try once ... am sure both of you will love it .. you with rice and he with bati. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. very nice recipe sharmila!

    ReplyDelete
  40. My husband and his family would just jump on this plate of daal baati Sharmila! The tiny town m in-laws stay has a tradition of making these. Initially I was unaware of the fact that a Marathi family could have this as a their regular dish for Nagpanchami, Holi or even get togethers. Now I know why because the town has been influenced by the majority of Rajasthani people staying there. Just that the daal is made more aamti like in our family. I would like to try with panchmela daal some day! Lovely read again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it awesome how cultures from different parts of the same country have mingled together? You are so lucky to know of this and now so am I.
      Do try the dal ... don't go by the pics ... it tastes far better than it actually looks. :-)

      Delete


Please do not spam.