Tuesday 26 August 2014

Narkel dudh diye Ilish / Hilsa cooked in coconut milk

narkel dudh shorshe diye ilish maacher jhol
While the season is in and I am still on the topic of Ilish, I thought I should finally post this wonderful recipe that I had tried out and absolutely loved, some two years back.

Just my kind of cooking, simple yet flavourful, this recipe has the wonderful sweetness of the coconut milk infused with that unique flavour of the Hilsa fish.
With a hint of jeera in that mustard paste, the flavour is just great.

My blogger friend  Arundhuti S. Rama of the beautiful blog My Saffron Kitchen, had shared this recipe, which actually belongs to her mother.
I had tried it out then and had clicked some photos too. But never got 'round to making a post on it.
Finally bringing it out into the light.

Thank you Arundhuti Rama and Mashima for this wonderful recipe!

narkel dudh diye Ilish maach

Need:

Ilish pieces - 3, lightly fried
Mustard oil - 1 tbsp
Thick Coconut milk - 6 tbsp
Grated ginger - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste

For the paste :
Yellow mustard seeds / shada shorshe  - 1 tbsp (soaked for around half an hour)
Posto / khus khus  - 1 tsp (soaked for around half an hour )
Jeera / cumin seeds - half teaspoon
Green chillies - 2

How to  :

Make a paste of all the mentioned ingredients.

Heat the mustard oil , add the paste and keep frying till the rawness goes away.

When it starts to get slightly dryish add the coconut milk and stir well.

Add the fish pieces, adjust salt and cover and cook till you get the desired consistency of the gravy.


Narkel dudh diye ilish mach
Remove from heat.
Serve hot with rice.

Enjoy!!


5 comments:

  1. Babbah! etodin por dekha millo ! Awesome pics! Asha korchhi tomar baki sob recipe-r moto etao durdhorsho khete hobe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jhimly. Eyi ektu ghure gelam ar tuk kore ekta chotto post rekhe gelam. :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow.. Another one for veggie one...

    M waiting to try this

    Tc,
    Warm regards,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ash ... did you mean that you are a vegetarian?!
      I am sorry I did not understand earlier.
      I used to give vegetarian suggestions in earlier my recipes ... will start doing that again.

      You can try this recipe with cauliflower or paneer ... both will taste good.
      I'll update the post. Thank you. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi! A friend tried this recipe and we had it for dinner last night. And I must tell you how much we loved it. Absolutely delicious and now that I see this recipe it is so simple with such few ingredients! Thank you for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.