Tuesday 24 November 2020

Chicken curry .... light, soupy and flavourful , perfect for winter meals


Ps : This was made sometime during the monsoons and has been sitting in my drafts all the while. 
I have given the story alongwith that led to the making of this curry. 

The very vegetarian, very Rajasthani husband cooked this beautiful chicken curry for me today. .

I woke up with a stiff back, body ache and painful hands. All that strain and working with water yesterday and sleeping with the a/c on last night has shown fruit. And has immobilised me completely. With the knowledge that it will be very difficult to get to my ortho or my physiotherapist, we decided that I take a break today. So while I stayed put with my heating pad and book, B took over the kitchen. .
.
.
I washed and prepped the chicken and asked him what should I marinate it with.
Drew a blank.
“Vinegar or curd?”.
“Vinegar. But very little.”
“Do you want big pieces or small pieces?”
Blank.
“What are you planning to cook ... a gravy? Or dry?”
“Hmm ... gravy. But dryish.”
“What will you be cooking in? Pressure cooker or kadahi?”
“Pressure cooker.”
So I gave him the pieces marinated with a little vinegar. .

After that I had  no idea how he made it.
But the moment the cooker let out the first whistle, I breathed in deep and knew I was in for a treat.
And a treat it indeed was.
I quickly make some mishti bhaat / basanti polau  for myself and happily put it in the background of the photo because that chicken curry / murgir jhol deserves all the limelight. .

It was light, perfect balance of salt and sugar and nothing overwhelming. Soothing, comforting, beautiful jhol.
Soft succulent pieces.
I realised it would go great with both plain rice as well as rotis.
I haven’t asked him the recipe but have asked him to make it again sometime.
It felt so good to have a homecooked chicken curry that I have not cooked myself.
Things like this makes the lockdown life bearable .




The recipe is ridiculously simple. 
I kept asking what else .... but this  is all ,  he says. 😊

Need


Chicken pieces 
Sliced onions
Ginger garlic paste 
Curd
Turmeric powder
Red chilli powder
Crushed black cardamom
Crushed black pepper 
Bay leaves
Salt
Sugar
Lemon juice 
Halved potato
Cooking oil  ( I use mustard oil ) 

How to

Mix everything together except the oil. 

Cover and keep aside for at least half an hour. 

Dump everything in a pressure cooker and cook for two whistles on low. 

Adjust gravy consistency with water as per your requirement. 




Serve steaming hot. 

I love to top with with some ghee and some more lemon juice and sip on it when the weather turns cold. 

This pairs beautifully with plain rice, rotis, parathas, mishti bhaat or even plain bread. 
That is what I love about it most .... its versatility. 


Enjoy!! 



Ps : I have been getting too many spam comments and at my wits end. 
If you are here, can you please help me out and tell me if you are able to see the captcha ??
Please share your commenting experience so that I can make the necessary changes. 
Thank you. 





 

4 comments:

  1. Just checking since I do not see any measures in the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read the whole post, you will know why. :-)

      Delete


Please do not spam.