Tuesday 3 November 2020

Fried rice and Chilli chicken ... a Bengali's favourite classic combo meal


I cooked this for lunch last Sunday. 
And the way it turned out to be, immediately decided it should be on the blog. 

I have been missing eating out for a while now. Not that we used to eat out very frequently, before the pandemic shut the whole world up at home, but yes, once in a while we did.
Or at least  had the freedom and the option to go out and grab a bite when not feeling like cooking or stepping into the kitchen. 
Now, however, life has been revolving around the three meals and snacks the whole day.
Not to mention the boredom of the familiar tastes and masalas . 

And Chinese food being my favourite, it is there that I was hit the most.
I do cook chinese food at home ..... mostly for dinners. But that is limited to just stir fried vegetables, hakka noodles and my quick, cheat's  Chilli Chicken. 

This time, however, my intense craving for Chinese food made me decide to whip up a meal.
And in detail .... no short cuts. 
Easier said than done. 
Chinese food has one elaborate thing for sure .... and that is prepping. 
Cooking the actual dish does not take much time .... just throw in a little of this, a little of that, toss, toss, toss .... and done!
But the prepping .... boy! ..... takes up all the time you have and also exhausts you. 

I realised I had bitten off more than I can chew by the time I was halfway and neck deep into the prep work. And I thanked the good gods for providing me the sense to eat a heavy breakfast that morning. 
The greater part of my problem is cooking two kinds of food .... vegetarian and non vegetarian. 
And keeping everything apart so that nothing touches each other, planning to use the oil for deep frying for the vegetarian part first and then use it for non vegetarian ..... and so on.
These are the little things that require constant alertness and are really stressful and exhausting. 

I had leftover rice in the fridge. 
I had marinated chicken in the freezer. 
I had a block of paneer in the fridge.
B assured me he would chop the vegetables. 
And so I dived headlong into cooking lunch. 


For the Chilli Chicken

I make the Chilli chicken the way I have grown up eating .... with lots of green chillies nad no capsicums. You may add them if you like though. 

Need

Chicken pieces - 250 gms, marinated with ginger garlic paste, soy sauce and a little vinegar 
Cooking oil , enough for deep frying
Corn flour  - 1 tbsp
Maida / Apf - 3 tbsp
Rice flour - 1 tsp 
Diced onions 
Chopped green chillies 
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Salt - to taste 
Sugar - to taste 

How to

Mix the flours with the marinated chicken. 

Heat oil and deep fry the pieces.  Keep aside. 

In a wok, heat a little oil. 

Add  garlic and ginger. Then add the green chillies and the diced onion. 

Stir fry on high heat and add the chicken pieces, soy sauce, vinegar and salt. 

Toss on high heat till everything comes together. 


For the  Vegetable Fried Rice  : 

Need


Leftover rice 
Cooking oil
Chopped vegetables like carrots, green peas, french beans, cauliflower
Chopped onions
Chopped green chillies
Minced garlic
Minced ginger
Soy sauce
A little vinegar
Black pepper powder
Salt
Sugar


How to

Heat oil in a seasoned iron wok. 

Add chopped garlic and ginger. Toss.
Add chopped onion and green chillies. 
Add the vegetables and toss on high heat.
Add the rice and the rest of the ingredients and toss on high heat till everything comes together. 
Serve hot. 



 
And now .... as promised on my last post .... the winner of the giveaway of the beautiful book by Sandeepa Bongmom, Those Delicious Letters . 

I made chits and drew out the name of  ..... 
Julie of Savoury Delights !!!!! 

Congratulatoins Julie!!! 
Do drop me an email with your full address and phone number so that I can ship the book to you. 


My next post is going to be on another classic ..... so stay tuned folks! 
Stay safe. Stay at home. 💓


You can find my other recipes on Chinese food here. 





No comments:

Post a Comment


Please do not spam.