Tuesday 11 January 2022

Khichuri with a spicy tempering to soothe the throat


Both I and B are on the way to recovery from a longish bout of cold and sniffles. 
While we are resting as much as possible staying warm, I have been cooking very light and nutritious food for ourselves too. 

Though they are not too different from our regular daily food, I did try to keep some things out and included a few things more.
Like I upped our intake of garlic ... it aids digestion and also provides warmth to the body ... a necessity in this cold winter weather. I have also increased B's intake of lentils for that extra protein.
Today, however, I wanted to deviate for a change and wanted to eat no vegetables.
 And I wanted to eat aloo bhaja .
I told myself that it is ok to indulge my tired body with some loving carbs.

So made a khichuri which is slightly different from the usual way I make khichuri  .
Not the typical Bengali  khichuri . 


How to make this beautiful khichdi...

I toasted 1 cup of yellow moong dal till fragrant.
Added  ½ cup of rice to it and washed it well. 
 Put it in a pressure cooker along with enough water, a little salt, grated coconut, turmeric powder, a blob of ghee and some crushed ginger. 
No need to grate it .... I just gave a big thwack with a pestle 😄
Cooked it for two whistles on low.


Heated ghee in a pan and added a little jeera and lots of chopped garlic and some chilli flakes and a pinch of salt.
Poured it over the khichadi . 

Stir fried some potatoes with kalo jeere / nigella seeds and dry chilli, in a smear of ghee. 

We savoured this beautiful meal that soothed our bodies with warmth as it went down.
I could visualise the nutrition spreading through my body and fill it with strength.
B went for a second helping too.
And just before he finished, mentioned "I feel as if someone has just given me a long, warm hug ".
And I knew all will be well.

When I was clicking photos, the sun shifted and lit up my plate with an ethereal light. 



Stay warm . Stay safe.
Eat well. Eat happy.











 

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful writeup, a delicious photo and awesome mat(you thought I would forget??)

    Hope you are doing good...M happy to see so many unread posts...please keep writing.

    Take care and stay safe

    Warmest hugs
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dear Ash!
      You take care too and stay healthy and safe.

      Delete


Please do not spam.