Saturday 17 October 2020

Laccha paratha and Egg curry ... with Punjabi dhaba like flavours



I had made this meal quite a long time back. Maybe a few months. I did post on Instagram but wanted to make a post here too. 
Given that I do not cook rich food regularly, I had wanted to keep a track of this recipe. 
And more so because I cook as I go .... I never ever follow a recipe. I just can't. 
I cook as my heart guides me.
Whatever it calls out for, I add to the food.
And so, more often than not, I forget my own recipes.

I have trying to increase the protein content of B's food intake. He is a vegetarian but can eat eggs once in a while. That  too only omelettes. 
So I decided , for a change , to cook some Egg curry for him. 
And disguise the flavours of boiled egg in a rich, spicy gravy that would be fragrant with spices too. 
And since I have a decent variety of punjabi flavoured masalas and spices in my kitchen, I decided to make a punjabi styled gravy. 

Having said that, I must mention that dhaba food, for me , has always been the Dimer torka ( another recipe that I have always wanted to make a post on ) and country chicken curry with fresh, handmade rotis . 
On our travels all over Odisha, the highlight would be when Bapi would decide to stop for a meal. 
Once we pulled over at the selected dhaba beside the highway, we would sit on the charpais  / rope cots laid out under a huge, old tree .... sometimes the banyan, neem or at other times the peepal or mango. 

We never needed a menu. 
Bapi would ask for fresh chicken curry. And Dimer torka.
And I would always ask for an omelette. 
I loved tearing off a piece of the super hot roti, loaded with dry flour, dust it off and tear a piece of the omelette, dip it in the torka and eat it. 

There was something about the  heavy, afternoon breeze under the trees, the smoking hot fresh food in front of us and Bapi lying on the charpai, looking up at the sky, that makes it one of my best childhood memories. And it wasn't any wonder I never remembered the rest of our journey ever, after that kind of a meal. I would always fall asleep. ☺☺



Coming back to my meal and recipe, I made Laccha parathas to go with the egg curry. 
I have tried making Laccha parathas earlier too ... but this time the layers were better and so good enough for me to make a post. 
I have recently learnt a new technique and will be posting it soon. 


For the Laccha Parathas

Need

Maida / APF 
Oil - for kneading and frying 
Salt 
Curd 
Water 

How to

Mix everything together, except water. 
Use the water, a little at a time and knead a smooth dough. 
Cover and keep aside for at least an hour. 

Cut medium sized balls out of the  dough. 

Roll out a thin roti. 

Apply oil and some dry flour all over. 

Roll it up like a pipe. 

Roll it up again sideways to make a ball. 

Flatten it and roll out a roti again. Do not apply too much pressure. 

Fry on a hot tawa till brown and crisp on both sides. 



 
For the Egg curry 

I cooked the masala twice ... a technique I do not use much. But the gravy comes out very smooth and is perfect for occasional times.

Need

Boiled eggs  - 4, shelled and fried in a little oil with turmeric powder
Onions - sliced - 1 medium
Garlic cloves  -  6 to 8 
Black cardamom - 1 
Green cardamom - 1 
Onions chopped - 1 
Tomatoes - 3 medium 
Mustard oil - 2 tbsp 
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp 
Red chillies - 3 , broken 
Everest Kitchen King powder - 1 tsp 
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp 
Kasuri methi - a little 
Salt - to taste 
Sugar - to taste 
Ghee - 1 tbsp


How to

Heat mustard oil. 

Add  cumin seeds, red chilli, sliced onions, garlic cloves,  black cardamom and tomatoes with some salt.
Cover and cook till soft and done.

Cool and blend smooth in a mixie.

Heat oil in another kadahi.

Add green cardamom, jeera and chopped onions. 

Fry  till the onions turned soft and pink.

Add the blended paste, kitchen king powder, red chilli powder, a little sugar, salt and kasuri methi and a little water.

Simmer, add the eggs and cover.

Let it cook for some more time and the flavours to get together. 

Top with a spoonful of ghee before removing from heat. 

Done ✅ 




Enjoy!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment


Please do not spam.