Friday 9 October 2020

Bengali Fish Chop ..... fish croquettes


With the first signs of winter setting in, the nights have cooler recently .
The perfect time for my muscle problems to set in. Trying to slow me down.
I am trying hard to keep pulling on.
Durga puja is just around the corner. We know it won't be the same this year. As before. 

The careful will stay in.
The lucky ones, who are with their family, will stay in.
But those who are alone, far away from home, might want to venture out to visit the pandals.
The loneliness and nostalgia will overwhelm them and they would want to out just once. 

To get that pujo pujo feel.
To hear the dhaaks reverberating.
The conch shells blowing.
The air heavy with dhuno and incense.

To look up at the glowing face of the mother goddess.
Eyes asking if all will be well again.
And hearts praying to keep the dear ones back home, safe.
And looking for that assurance that the next year, Pujo will be like what it was in the past years.
Asking for the faith and strength to move on to the next year with positive determination. 


This year, the pandemic has taken too much from us. 
Lives, hopes, dreams, jobs, normal life. 
Laughter, carefree happiness, joy, smiles. 
The assurance of presence, a warm hug, sharing a meal together, sharing a precious moment together. 
All snatched away. 

My thoughts turn to Bapi (dad) who would look forward to pujo just because I would be home.
He would start reminding me to book the tickets trom as early as two months before pujo.
Today,  there is nobody to call me home urgently. 
With the same overpowering, unconditional love.
Guess I have grown up.
And grown apart.
Guess that is life.

I had made these Maacher chops or Fish chops a long time back and had posted on Instagram
And had wanted to share it on the blog too. 
But then, as usual, it took me this long to be able to sit down for that. 

As I started to write about this much loved snack that Bengalis would enjoy at the food stalls, during Durga pujo, I decided that a write up about pujo would be apt to accompany these beautiful fish chops. 
So I picked up what I had written yesterday on my Insta and paired it with the chops here. 
I think both the food and the nostalgia will go well. 

I will take you to the recipe now. 
And hope that you will create them in your kitchen this pujo and enjoy .
And let it transport you to the pujo pandels where the smells of hot oil and deep fried food would be wafting all around. 
Just close your eye, be there in spirit and munch on a Fish chop. 
And stay home, to stay safe. 

Aasche bochor abaar hobe


I have used the Rui mach / Rohu fish. You may the use the bhetki too. 
There were some tail pieces that I usually use to make a makha / mash or a fish kheema .  
Also I fry them since I don’t like the smell of boiled fish.


Need

Pieces of fried fish , deboned - 1 cup
Boiled potatoes - 1 medium 
Chopped onions - 1 medium 
Chopped ginger - 1 tsp 
Chopped raisins - 1 tbsp 
Paste of garlic and green chillies - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp 
Bengali garam masala powder - 1 tbsp
Salt - to taste
Sugar - to taste
Cornflour - to make a slurry 
Breadcrumbs 
Mustard oil 

How to

Mash the deboned fish with the boiled potatoes. 

Heat 2 tsp oil and add the chopped onions, the garlic chilli paste and fry well. 

Add turmeric and red chilli powder, salt and the mashed fish and salt and sugar.

Fry well. 

Add the chopped raisins and the garam masala.
Mix everything well. 

Remove from heat and cool. 

Make a slurry with the cornflour and water.

Make small balls from the fish mixture .... you can give them any shape you want to .... dip them in the cornflour slurry and coat them with breadcrumbs. 

Place all of them on a plate and keep in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.

 Heat enough  oil and deep fry them in batches. 




Done ✅ 
Enjoy! 


 PS

Hope you have checked out my giveaway for a wonderful book by Sandeepa aka Bongmomcookbook, on my blog. 

Last date is 20th of October. 

Do hurry!






4 comments:

  1. বুকের একেবারে ভেতরে ধাক্কা দিল তোমার পোস্টটা, শর্মিলা। আসছে বছর যেন অন্যরকম হয় সব।

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tai jeno hoye Kuntala. Sheyi asha niye e eyi kothin poth cholchi amra shobai.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhh...I LOVED the plate...n these chops are perfect sinners, trying to convert a vegetarian into non....

    Take care and stay safe mam

    Luv
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make the vegetarian version too Ash.
      Thanks!

      Delete


Please do not spam.