Sunday 25 October 2020

Khichuri and its companions .... for Durga puja 2020

 

Durga Puja came and went by.

Today is Nabami. Only one more day left.. 
The only festival Bengalis all over the world look forward to. 
The festive feelings, the enthusiasm, the excitement of wearing new clothes, meeting friends and families, spending time at the pujo pandals, the crowd, the reverberating dhaaks and the conch shells, the fragrance of incense and flowers, the rustle of new fabrics, silks and cotton, the aroma of bhog / prasad as well as the food being made at the stalls .... all spell Durga puja. 

All ended. All snuffed out. 
Just by one deadly pandemic. 
One life taking pandemic. 
So many people could not go home to be with their families. 
So many parents spent the days alone, at home. 
The whole world has been shut up at home. 
As if it has been covered with a dark, heavy blanket. 
As if rejoicing is banned. As if breathing is illegal. 

My heart went out especially to those Bengalis who craved just one chance to see the face of the goddess. Just one time. 
To offer pushpanjali / obeisance with flowers. 
To be able to live just for one moment the festive feel. 
Due to safety measures, most places have not organised the celebrations of Durga puja. 
And whichever few have, they have set restrictions and have not allowed anybody other than members to attend the functions. 
And the cry of despair on the social network pages has been heart rending ..... everybody asking for one place where they can get a glimpse of the goddess or offer puja. At least for a few moments. 

Having said that, I must mention the excellent arrangements the organisations have made for regular live streaming of all the activities for people to watch from the safety of their home. 
From Pushpanjali to aarti to cultural programs .... everything. 
And people have been most sensible in doing that .... staying at home and creating happiness for themselves in their own way. 

Memories of pujo in my childhood flood me today. 
Getting ready early, wearing the dress that has been the result of months of agonising on designs and fabric and discussions with Didi and the rest of the brood, going to the pujo mandap with Dadu with a trail of helpers carrying the pujor dali / offerings, while the rest of the ladies of the family and Thamma would come later. 
And then, lunch! 
Ashtami lunch would be Luchi, Cholar dal, labra and chaatni. And papor bhaja / papad.
And of course a sweet. 
We cousins would sit in the long verandah, in a line. Fresh banana leaves would be placed in front of us and Kakimas would serve the food. 
But the luchi was always served by Thamma. 
Carrying an open, oval shaped jhuri filled with hot, fluffy luchis, she would pick out each grandchild's favourite and place it on the leaf. 
I loved fluffy ones. Didi loved both the fluffy as well as the flat ones, the youngest one loved the crisp browned ones .... and so on. 
The Cholar dal would be thick, sweetish with generous bits of fried coconut in it. We kids loved to trouble whoever was serving to fish out more coconut pieces for us. 😀 
And we loved to break a piece of the papad and scoop up some chaatni with it and stuff our mouths. 
The savoury crisp crushing inside our mouths, mixed with the syrupy sweetness of the chaatni would make us go mmmmmmm. 

Days gone by a little too soon.
Sigh. 😞


I had orders for the traditional Khichuri plate for lunch. 
People who did not go to the pandals and wanted to enjoy the regular, traditional bhoger khichuri had placed  orders with me. 
I made the regular accompaniments that go with it. And offered it as prosad / bhog in our mandir at home. And then sent out the batches. 
Tried my best to give a festive feel to my loyal clients through my homecooked food. 



May the divine goddess give us the shakti / strength to fight every demon of ill intentions in the world. 
As well as within us. 
May Durga keep us and the whole world in her care. 

Happy Dussera!! 


Ps : I will declare the winner of my giveaway in my next post. 
Sorry for the delay. 



2 comments:

  1. Hello mam.

    I came to this blog after a real long time. Almost bracing for disappointment but was excited to see so many posts to feast my eyes on.
    You write nice, in a way that I think that I am sitting next to you with a cup of cha and those delish samosas/singhadas and we are reminiscing.

    Instagram though is filling to the eye cannot bring the pleasure of reading that your every single recent post brought me. Wave after wave.

    Waiting for more posts mam...please please write more.

    ( though I follow you on insta as well...your actual posts are just mirror images of what I feel most of the time at that moment)

    By the way, what is that preety cloth next to the delish plateful? Any of your creations?

    Waiting to hear.

    Take care and stay safe mam

    Warmest regards,
    Luv,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ash! Good to see you and read your comments again.
      I do love to write here ... the word limit as well as the hurried factor on insta does not satisfy me. But since there is no interaction with any readers here, I sometimes lose motivation.
      I do know that a lot of people come over and read my posts ... but since nobody writes even a line, it is sometimes like talking to a wall.
      I will try my best to write more here.
      Thanks again.
      Take care and lots of love.

      Delete


Please do not spam.