Saturday 23 March 2013

Rui macher kalia jhol / Rohu fish in spicy gravy


(I've been getting a lot of mails and comments complaining about the centre aligned posts.
 So am going back to the common left aligned. Do let me know if this is ok with you. )
I loved the centre aligned though. :-( . 

 My!
The whole month has flown by ... with me getting to make only two posts. Can't blame myself ... have been caught up with a whirlwind of backlog chores. As well as preparing the house ... and myself ... for the visiting family. Bhaiya, Bhabi and their son were here and spent a week with us ... which flew by in no time.
Now that I get to catch my breath, only for a few days albeit, that I visit my own blog like a new visitor.
And see the almost empty March.

Even if I do have a draft full of snaps and recipes waiting, I did not get the time at all.
Even today, when the couch beckons and lazing around seems a priority ... I really need to get my solitude back ... in my mind ... I decide to make a post after all.


This jhol is adapted from Bong Mom's Maacher Kalia.
I made some changes ... mostly to cater to my convenience and added more water to make a thinner gravy.
Loved it and have been making rui jhol this way most times.
You can decrease the amount of water and make it the Kalia too. No difference in flavours or taste.

Need :
3 Rohu fish pieces - cleaned and fried lightly in mustard oil
1 Tomato -grated
1 Onion  - ground to paste
Ginger and garlic paste - around 1 tbsp
Fresh coriander leaves - cleaned, washed and chopped
Turmeric powder - a pinch 
Jeera / cumin seeds - a pinch
Red chilli powder - a little
Whole red chillies - 2
Salt - to taste
Mustard oil ... or the oil left over from frying the fish
Water
(Bong Mom adds potatoes ... I sometimes do too ... but did not have any this time)

How to :

Heat oil. Add the jeera. When it starts to splutter, add the whole red chillies ... break them into half first and the onion paste. Fry well for a while.
Then add the ginger+garlic paste. Keep frying.
Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and fry till oil leaves the sides.
Now add the tomato and fry some more.
Add enough water and salt.
Bring to a boil, simmer for a while.
Add the fish pieces and adjust salt.
Cover and cook for a while.
Sprinkle the coriander leaves just before removing from heat.


Great with plain, hot rice.
Enjoy!!


Another way of my Rui Macher jhol ( with Panch phoron! ) is here.




5 comments:

  1. I like the left justified as well. This fish curry looks fantastic. Are you in b' lore or chennai? I figured you now live in the south. If so do you know The Tamil name for rohu?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indo ... no matter where I live I'll never be able to pick up the local language. But yes, for you I did find out the Tamil name for Rohu ... it is called the Kannadi kendai. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmila thanks. Got to check with my mom if that is available near where we live and give it a try.

      Delete
  3. aaj chuti r din ar tomar kalia amar chokher shamne bhaschey :) Tai dekhte elam. ami ebar maach anbo. bhishon khete ichey korchey eirokom tel rogrog (and even with the panch phoron!) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soma ... this one does not have paanch phoron! And has very little oil. I think the gravy, since it is thin, gives that shiny look in the pic.
      Maach niye esho soon. :-)

      Delete


Please do not spam.