Monday 17 November 2008

Creamy Arbi

Once upon a time I was completely unaware that the vegetable Arbi existed. And later, found out that it not only existed but also is hubby's favourite. God knows what I went through after I held the boiled, slimy thing in my hands the first time.

Today it is a different story. I can make at least 4 kinds of Arbi preparations. And am told they are very good.
As for me ... there are a lot of things that I make and yet never even taste ... and Arbi is one of them.

Once, when I had some fresh whey at hand, I had added it to this dish for the gravy ... instead of water as usual. The dish got such a creamy flavour that I have stuck to this recipe whenever I am making Arbi with gravy.

If there is no whey at home, a little milk can be added to the gravy too ... but then that distinct flavour won't be there.

Need : Arbi ( boiled, peeled and cut into pieces), whey, sliced onions, chopped tomatoes, jeera, haldi powder, red chilli powder, a pinch of garam masala, a little cooking oil and salt to taste.
How to : Heat oil in a kadhai. Add the jeera and the onions. Fry for a while.
Add the tomatoes and fry some more.
Now add the cut Arbi pieces. Add haldi, red chilli and salt.
Add the whey, cover and bring to a boil.
Sprinkle garam masala powder and simmer for some more time.
Serve hot with rotis / parathas.


8 comments:

  1. this does look creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my..that is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey this one looks great...waiting for the new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great Sharmila. egulo ke Gathi Kochu bolay bangla te... My mashi makes it similar to this. delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandira, Bharti, Rakhee ... thanks! :-)

    Soma .. pore janlam egulo kei kochu bole .. kintu Gathi kochu first time shunchi. Thanks for the info. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharmila,
    Kochur torkari ta darun lagche!
    creamy and delicious...
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried it. It's really delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe ��

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.