Sunday 30 October 2011

Kachkola Khosar Chatni / Plantain Peels Chutney


 
 

Hi everybody!
Here's wishing you a very happy festive season!
Hope you all had a wonderful Diwali.
I did try my best to have one.
And did not judge my success on how many savories or sweets I got to make this time.
 We strung little lights all over the house, had friends over and savoured whatever little I could dish up myself.
And decided Diwali is all about having people who love you around you.

I actually did not disappoint myself on the kitchen front.
I did make the very popular Rajastani kachori, went ahead and made a fusion by pairing it with the very Bengali Cholar Dal.
And a spicy rassewali Aloo.
Also had made plain Luchis or Puris.
On the sweet front had Chawal ki Kheer or Chaler Payesh.
And then greed struck.
I snitched some break time from the busy schedule and was going through my reader when Bong Mom's new post caught my eye.
Could not help making those wonderful Besan ke Laddoos ... they looked so tempting.
But more than that the very quick way of making them caught me.
I made them after dinner! ... they are so quick to make.
And tasted awesome! :-)
They are a great life saver , like my Instant Moong Dal Halwa.
Thanks Sandeepa for that. 


In between my trip back home for Durga Puja, coming back, getting caught up with cleaning for Diwali, I did cook and eat too.
But hardly got the time to click and frame a post to share.
But there are times when new things do come up in the kitchen that I so want to share.
Like this chutney.
Made from fresh raw bananas/plantains' peels, this is a great thing to go with any parathas ... especially parathas made with left overs  or Methi parathas.
And you can vary the taste and flavours with the spices of you choice.
Healthy, tasty, ... perfect!

Need

Fresh  raw bananas / Plantains
A few cloves of garlic ( depends on how much peels you have or how strong you like )
A piece of ginger
A small lump of Tamarind ( I used Kokum, you can use lemon juice too )
Salt
Sugar
Some whole jeera
Some whole Black pepper
1 or 2 fresh Green chillies

How to 

Take out thick peels from the plantains.

Take some water in a microwave safe bowl and add some salt and the peels.
 Run in the MW on full power for 1 minute.

Remove and cool.

Put in all ingredients with the peels in a mixer and make a paste.
Adjust seasoning. 

And yes, it is completely oil free.



Serve this tasty dose of iron and fibre with parathas or fritters.
Enjoy !!

You can change the spices to add different flavours to this chutney.




13 comments:

  1. Hey you cooked up a feast for diwali. I was with my in laws and cooked the diwali treats for 3 whole days and now don't want to talk about them :)

    This plantain peel chutney i would love, simple n quick n very tasty. My version includes a little coconut and i love that with idlies , never tried with parathas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharmila,

    kanch kolar khosa bata dekhlaam Ushnish da'r blog e and now tumaar kanch kolar chutney..kotot rokom bhabhe khete para jaye kanch kola and ami aaj updhi sodhu ekto noon+shorshe bata kimba tel diye hi khete jantaam ..lovely ..hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eta darun toh...ekdom notun rokomer!I'm sure it's nutritious too given that most of the time, we throw away the peel although it does contain healthy anti-oxidants.Amar ekhane kaachkola pabo kina janina...will surely scour the Indian store for that,but pele sure korbo:)Nice to know that you enjoyed the festive season.Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this chutney Sharmila it is delicious
    lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharmila

    Amar sasuri ma kanch kola'r khosha bata koren. ei rokom http://www.bongcookbook.com/2007/10/kanchakalar-khosa-bata.html. Khete besh bhaloi hoy bhaater sathe kintu ami uni elei sudhu kori.
    Tomar chutney ta te Kokum ache, eta ki down south er recipe ?

    Tomar Diwali menu dekhe khide peye gelo, rajasthani kachori ar rasewali aloo kheye Japani nishchoy bejay khushi :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually it is after I started blogging i knew we could use the peels for chuntney's etc... never had it thought but the recipe sounds yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sangeeta! Right ... there can be a lot of varioations of the spices used.

    Thanks Jaya! Ushnishda'r ta o dekhte hobe. Tomar ecipe ta o post koro na. :-)

    Thanks Sudha, Torview!

    Sandeepa ... tomar recipe ta ekbar korbo. Na go ... kokum barite chilo tai add korlam ... otherwise lemon juice or tamarind o khub bhalo kaaj deye.
    Haan ... I had a khush Japani ... du haate je bhabe khelo sheta dekhar moton. :D

    Thanks Tina!

    Fin ... even I am trying these out regularly only now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey, even I liked this, kanch kola khosha bata, I sometimes use narkel bata in it. Great substitute for koch saag bata

    ReplyDelete
  9. hy sharmila,
    chutney sounds yummm n delish..
    happy following you..:)
    love to see you in my space too..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  10. lip smacking good! I put this in the pickle category. Ami kalo jeera use kori. and I never used the microwave for this. sounds to be a much easier process.

    ar tumi diwali te ki kando korecho?!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simple n healthy , will definitely try .

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.