Wednesday 24 December 2008

Cakes & Rose Cookies .... Merry Christmas !

Studying in a Catholic school has, amongst a lot of other things, instilled this love for X'mas in me. Of course, the day has always been celebrated as an excuse for a feast at home too.
But what I still remember about school is doing up our chapel with the Nativity scene .... the wonderful smell of baking wafting from the Convent where the sisters stayed ... and if ever we went there on an errand (it was out of bounds for students except boarders), we would definitely get a piece of cake / pie/ some goodies .... visiting school for Mass in the chilling hilly area cold.... the setting of long winter holidays ...
So many memories. :-)



At home Ma would set about making an awesome lunch ... chicken, slightly sweet fried rice, her famous Russian salad, .... so many things .... not to mention a cake.



Then Mamata Mashi would come for lunch ... and bring with her Rose Cookies ( we used to call them Rose Cakes). This lady was our saviour whenever we felt like having Rose cookies. Nobody else made them. We just had to mention once .... and in a couple of days a huge box would reach us. :-)


I had bought a mould once I started started cooking on my own .... pined for these cookies. But these are such tricky things .... could never make them properly.

This time I followed Aparna's tips and measurements ... am so glad I found her blog ... and treaded this dangerous route. Made a decent few ...

..... before the batter / oil temperature / the mould started acting up.

So made these small pancakes out of the rest of the batter.



Merry Christmas all !!
Here's asking Santa for some peace and happiness for this world. :-)


17 comments:

  1. perfet for the season,..:-)merry christams,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect goodies!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a lovely array of delicacies. Just now one of my neighbours gave me a lot of her tasty goodies - she is one great baker, and am lucky to be one of her regular recipients! Your acchappams look great, Sharmila!

    Merry X'Mas, Seasons Greetings, and a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..that's quite a spread! Merry Christmas and a lovely 2009 dear Sharmila.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sharmila what a sweet post:-) I found it! I found it!! jaano amar kaachey amar dida r dewa rose cake korar chNach! ar ami kono din rose cake korini... amar ma, dida ar keu i nei, jiggesh korar keu nei.

    ebar ami banabo. kaal barir kotha monay kore kore fruit cake banalam.
    Thank u Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Priyanka & Arundhuti! :-)

    Seasons greetings and a very Happy New Year to you too Sunshinemom! :-)

    Wish you a great new year 2009 to you too Bharti! :-)

    Soma .. u r so lucky to inherit a mould .. I still am on the lookout for a good one.
    Boro howar ei ek jala .. memories gulo boro koshto deye.
    Nishchoi baniyo .. ar amake janiyo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh I LOVE LOVE LOVE rose cookies. I didn't know you got a mould for them....I have to -have to try these (without the mould). Merry Christams and a Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharmila,
    happy christmas to you too ...
    me and my lil one will love to have those goodies ..LOL..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas & a very happy New year to you too Naina! :-)

    Thanks Jaya! I wish I cld share them with u & your lil one.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, what a treat for x-mas...perfect..I never heard of rose cookies but looks really delicious...thanks for coming by my blog..see u soon

    ReplyDelete
  11. hppy new yr to u nd ur family,..why no posts,..:-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. As we would say in saddi dilli: tussi to chaa gaye, yaar!
    Happy new year and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Indrani! :-) Rose cookies taste great .. but are a little troublesome to make .. I take the trouble just for memories. :-)

    Thanks Priyanka for that sweet comment. Will come back with new posts soon. Happy new year to you and your family too. :-)

    Happy new year to you too Rashmi! And thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy! jibhe jol aashche! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely feast!..I simply love rose cookies!..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharmila, I reading as many posts as I can from your blog to heal my muscle spasms! Yes, it works..such beautiful posts you have here my dear! I have always wanted to make acchapam...the rose cookies...however need to get hold of the mould first I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favourite but I hardly make them. The moulds are easily available here.

      Delete


Please do not spam.