Monday 7 July 2008

Ragdaa Patties & another award


Aloo tikki with ghugni is what I call these. Hubby calls it aloo tikki chaat. In Maharashtra it is called ragdaa patties ( i have no idea what ragdaa is ... nor what is the correct spelling for this). All I know is this tastes heavenly.

I usually boil aloo/matar/chana etc in bulk and store them in the fridge. They come very handy when there are unexpected guests or anytime when you want something chatpata ... not to mention when you don't want to go through the rigmarole of making a complete lunch/dinner.

Anyway ... I had some of these boiled aloo and matar. So made this as a snack for a rainy evening. I made the ghugni spicy this time to complement the slightly bland aloo tikkis. Great combi. And follows my motto ... simple cooking. :-)

Need :
For the tikkis : Boiled potatoes, grated ginger,chopped green chillies, fresh coriander leaves, salt to taste, around 2 tbsp oil to fry the tikkis.

For the ghugni : Dry white matar (soaked and boiled), haldi powder, red chilli powder,amchur powder, a pinch of roasted jeera powder, a little water, salt to taste.

How to : Mash the potatoes with ginger, chillies, coriander leaves and salt. Shape into round sized tikkis. Heat the oil in a a tawa or a shallow pan and put in the tikkis. Fry till they turn brown on both sides.

In another kadhai or pan put in the matar with a little water ... yes ... no jeera or tempering ... so no oil .... :-) . Add the haldi powder, chilli powder, jeera powder and the amchur powder. Adjust salt and bring to a boil. Simmer for a while to adjust gravy thickness.
Pour the ghugni in a dish and arrange the tikkis on it. Sprinkle chopped onions and coriander leaves on it.
Hetal has passed on the "Yummy blog award" to my blog. Thanks Hetal.

"Yummy blog award is the award given to the blog with most yummy recipes/photos".

Unfortunately I do not like sweets at all ... in any form .... leave alone desserts. So I cannot immediately mention any such desserts that I have found 'yummy-licious'. I'll try to come up with a few very soon ... hopefully.
Am supposed to pass this on to four other bloggers whose blogs I find yummy ... will update this post as soon as I scan through and select 4 .... which is not only going to be difficult ... but also unfair.
Anyways ... till then enjoy the ragdaa patties.

6 comments:

  1. wow..some coincidence!
    I also used to abhor sweets, expcept chocolates, but of late I have tried to develop a taste for some.
    Infact, my post on this very award is the same kahani:

    http://delhibelle.blogspot.com/2008/05/award-confession-and-simple-dessert.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloo tikki is superb..mouthwatering and luved ur presentation...congrates on ur awards

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ragda patis (that's what I call it) looks so yum. It's one of my favorite chaats too.
    Congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmi
    I still haven't been able to develope a taste for sweets .. and am not too unhappy about it too ;-)
    But I do make a lot of sweets for hubby though ... guess I'll start off again .. for my blog now.

    Suma Rajesh
    Thanks! Do keep visiting :-)

    Bharti
    Thanks! Good to see you here again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I had the famed ragda pattice in Mumbai - my reaction was similar. It is nothing but aloo tikki without the masala accompanied by white matar masala instead of chhole:) And yet Shakespeare said - What's in a name! I say - It's all in the name:) What say?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Righto Sunshinemom! I agree.Who will want to eat it if we call it 'ubla matar and aloo' ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.