Wednesday 2 July 2008

Daatar Jhaal (Drumsticks in mustard paste)



The idea of adding aloo to any dish irritates hubby to unending extents. He calls it the perfect way to spoil a dish. But I love aloo .... almost all Bengalis do ... and add to almost every dish. So I have come out with a way...when serving I take the aloo part of a dish ( with a little veggie too ;-) ) and give hubby the veggies. Peace.
So here is the veggie jhaal.
Need : 1 Potatoe / aloo sliced into long pieces, 2 drumsticks cut into long pieces, 1 sliced onion, 1 green chilly, 1/2 tsp kalaunji (nigella seeds) , 4-5 tbsp mustard paste, 1 tsp mustard oil, a pinch of haldi / turmeric powder, a pinch of sugar, salt to taste, a little water.
How to : Heat oil. Add the green chillies and kalaunji.
Then add the onion and fry for some time. Add the aloo and the drumsticks.
Add haldi / turmeric and salt and fry for sometime. Add the mustard paste, sugar and water.
Cover and cook till the vegetables are done. Remove cover and cook till all water evaporates.
This should be slightly dryish. And goes very well with steamed rice and dal.

14 comments:

  1. hehe u know even i dont like allo in every veggie... but there r some it ought to b there... we generally use drumsticks only in sambhar.... this is new to me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the best way to make mustard paste, if you only need a little

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swati ..try it ... and lemme know if u like it .. and if u don't too ;-)

    Rashmi
    What I do is take a good quantity and run them in the mixie ... dry .. seive it once so that you have less of the dark peel (only if you are using the big sized seeds) ... and store in a bottle. Whenever I need some ... I just soak them in water ... and my paste is ready.
    Hope this helps. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmi
    I have tried this way and it helps too ... soak a good amount of mustard and make a paste ... then store right in the freezer ... it will become frozen ... whenever you need some you can chop off a piece ... stays this way for more than a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy looking curry sharmila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm..even I only use drumsticks in Kadhi. The hubby lurves mustard so, I should try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. the first one sounds more practical for me since I use mustard paste only when cooking for myself!
    Thank you pal, great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sagari!

    Bharti ... try it.And do let me how it turned out. :-)

    Rashmi .. my pleasure buddy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure that is smelling great! I love aloo gobi and dal tempered with mustard oil - it transforms the taste making it more flavorful and strong! The mustard paste is new - I must try this in small amounts as it might take some getting used to! And yes - I will make sure that there are some aloos.....what say?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where is your RSS button dear?

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks yummy .. will try this one for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunshinemom ..I agree .. u need to get used to the strong flavour .. and when cooking with mustard paste always add water and cook well so the mustard loses its bitterness. :-)
    What is RSS button?how do I get it?

    Vegetable Platter
    Do try it .. and do let me know if u liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sharmila for the shorshe baata tip, I was looking thru the fish recipes and found this. I have never made shorshe baata myself but love anything made with it, daanta kheyechhi shei chhoto belaay, used to love it!
    actually then, never realised the value of it, now I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always a pleasure when people benefit from my blog Joyeeta .. and am glad a good soul like you has returned to leave a line. :-)
    I personally find freezing the soaked mustard paste a better option as the dry version tends to turn bitter if stored for too long.

    Remember not to freeze it in too big a container .. you will have to break off pieces of the iced mustard ( I have a hell of a time ). Better if you use a ice cube tray. :-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.