Wednesday 2 July 2008

Shorshe Rui / Rohu fish cooked in Mustard sauce

https://www.google.co.in/#q=rui+macher+shorshe++jhaal+kichu+khon




Fish at last !!!
It has been a long time since I had fish last ... and what it means to a Bengali is anybody's guess. I am missing my fishwala ... the good man is down with a fractured leg after an accident due to some irresponsible young guys' reckless driving ... who had spoilt me good with the freshest fish delivered, cleaned and cut in my house on weekly mornings.

Waited for him ... but he will be out of action for more than two months ... so went fish shopping after a long time.

Got a fresh rohu ... my favorite. And decided to try this shorshe jhaal.
The gravy can be slightly thin ans soupy to mash up the rice with. Or drysh too. 

Other than fish we make a jhaal from vegetables too ... like aloo datar jhaal ( aloo and drumsticks .... coming up in next post) or aloo borir jhaal ( aloo and mungaudi ).

https://www.google.co.in/#q=rui+macher+shorshe++jhaal+kichu+khon
Need :

 Fried pieces of the Rohu / Mach bhaja  - 2
Whole green chillies - 2 ,
Chopped onion - 1,
Kalo jeere / Kalaunji / Nigella seeds - ¼ tsp
Chopped tomato - 1 medium 
Mustard oil - 1 tsp 
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
Mustard paste - 2 tbsp
( I soak yellow mustard seeds in water for half an hour and grind it with a green chilli )
Water - 2 cups
Salt to taste
Fresh corainder leaves / Dhone pata

How to :
https://www.google.co.in/#q=rui+macher+shorshe++jhaal+kichu+khon

Heat oil.
Add  the kalo jeere/ kalaunji/nigella seeds and the green chillies.
Add the onion.
Fry till the onions turn translucent and lose the raw smell. 
Add the tomato. 
Fry well and add the turmeric and red chilli powder.
Add a dash of salt and keep frying on low heat till the tomatoes turn into complete mush.

Raise heat and add water.
Bring to a boil.
Add salt and the mustard paste.
Boil on high heat and slide in the fired fish pieces.
Check for salt and add if needed.
Lower heat and let it simmer till the gravy reaches desired consistency.

Remove from heat, sprinkle chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.

Goes very well with steamed rice and a simple dal.
https://www.google.co.in/#q=rui+macher+shorshe++jhaal+kichu+khon

I like to have my rice with the gravy, so keep it slightly thin.
You can dry it up too if you want.


Enjoy!!!


6 comments:

  1. ohhh the famous macher jhol...
    goood good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Swati .. u r confusing "Jhol" with "Jhaal" ...
    This is a jhaal ... made of mustard paste
    Jhol is a gravy ... made of either onion/ginger/garlic paste or tomato paste, etc etc. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the look of it so much..need to veggify it for myself tho! Dont curse me- my fish loving, bong buddy:)

    How bad does Alu gobhi jhaal sound ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will never curse u Rashmi ..am married to a pure veggie ;-) .. so I know ... Alu gobhi jhaal sounds great .. will be another innovation on your part .. i suggest u start patenting these stuffs u come up with :-))
    Btw you can add a little mustard paste to a mix veg and make a veggie jhaal ... we do that too .. like aloo(there i go again)+baingan+beans/semfali/parwal + whatever solitary veg u have left in your fridge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too like the looked so much..at first I thought its crab...it's looks erotic..very nice recipe and pic...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Errr Priti
    That is indeed a new kind of compliment .. I'll pass it on to my fish pieces. :-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.