Thursday 19 June 2008

Potoler Chop (Stuffed Parwal)

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=potoler+chop+kichu+khon
 (Updated photograph)

( Cooked Soy granules can also be used as stuffing. Non-vegetarians can make with chicken/mutton kheema ).

The first time I read the recipe for homemade Kasundi on Delhibelle's post I tried it out ... I admit with apprehension.
I mean who makes kasundi at home?
I have never seen any elderly woman relative to make even once. Rather everybody has been very vague about the recipe ... how difficult it is and how you have to follow certain guidelines, etc. etc.

When I made this recipe of the instant version I was floored. It was perfect .. and was polished off in minutes. So could not post it for lack of a snap ... read evidence ;p.

Now I have made it again. I made just one mistake ... I used the bigger sized mustard seeds ... the taste was good anyway ... just a little extra tangy.

And I added 1/2 teaspoonful of sugar ... which was ok. The recipe is with its rightful owner here.

The stuffed parwals tasted too good with it. Thanks Rashmi. :-)

I have made this Kasundi many times hence. Never made a different post on it though.

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=potoler+chop+kichu+khon

 Potoler Chop

Need :

A few big sized fresh parwals / pointed gourd

Boiled potatoes,

Haldi / Turmeric powder

Red chilli powder

A pinch of garam masala

Salt to taste

Besan / Gram flour

Water - enough to make a batter

Oil for deep frying.

https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=potoler+chop+kichu+khon

How to :

The stuffing :

Mash the boiled potatoes with salt, red chilli powder and garam masala.

( Alternatively this can be cooked with ginger garlic paste ... but that takes a lot of time. I kept it simple).
Yiu can add chopped peanuts and coconut to the stuffing too.

The chop :

Wash and peel the parwals.

Make a cut in them and scoop the seeds out carefully.

Stuff them with the potato stuffing and then cut the ends off (this way they don't break).

The batter :

Prepare the batter by mixing besan, a pinch of haldi powder, red chilli powder and salt and water.
 It should not be too watery ... keep it slightly thickish.


How to :

Heat enough oil in a heavy bottomed kadhai (make sure of this becoz the parwals need to be cooked too).

Dip the stuffed parwals in the batter and coat them evenly.

Deep fry them on low heat till golden brown.


https://www.google.co.in/?gws_rd=ssl#q=potoler+chop+kichu+khon


Serve hot with kasundi, ketchup or chutney.
These are perfect as a side with the Khichuri or just as snacks with a hot cup of tea.
Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for trying it out, I feel so flattered.So glad it lived up to your expectations!

    And that chop is just amazing! I'm having breakfast right now and would do anything for one of those:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arey Rashmi ... u don't know what this means to me ... no more waiting for the stalls to come up in Durga puja for kasundi ;-)

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.