Friday 27 June 2008

Aam ka Achaar (a trial)

With the monsoon coming we are running out on raw mangoes fast. So when I found some really firm raw mangoes on my grocery trip last weekend I picked 2 up. I had some prepared Achaar masala with me ... thanks to didi who made it for me on my last visit to her, and planned to utilise them before they go bad.

I cut up the mango into small pieces ... unfortunately could not deal with the huge seed with my flimsy knife ... so my achaar will not have any pieces I can chew on for a long time. :-(

Then I rubbed in salt into the pieces and kept them on a thick table napkin so that all the moisture is drained out. Then mixed in the masala and filled in a glass bottle.

Then I heated some mustard oil upto smoking point and let it cool completely. Added some hing into it and poured in the bottle of Achaar. The oil should cover the mangoes completely.
I have let it sit for around 5 days.

I am being showered with comments recently and am feeling good. Today Sailaja has tagged me for a Me Me.

I feel good to be in blogosphere ... and again I thank Rashmi for this. :-)

1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATER?

I really can't remember ... it was long back .

2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING?

Am halfway Chetan Bhagat's "The 3 mistakes of my life" and am already hating it. :p

3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME?

Scrabble
4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE?

Good Housekeeping

5) FAVORITE SMELLS?

The fragrance of wet soil after a rain, Dida's fragrance(all old people have one), the fragrance in the air when winter approaches ... lots of them

6) FAVORITE SOUNDS?

A piano's notes, the sound of a storm,when my Bapi calls out to me

7) WORST FEELING IN THE WORLD?

I have this strange worse kind of feeling ... no matter where I am ... when it is evening I feel like going home .. being at home (my childhood home).

8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE?

What to make for breakfast!

9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE?

None
10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME?

I have at least 21 names in my mind ... :-))

11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D’...

Haven't thought of it ... but maybe i'll go shopping first ...

12)DO YOU DRIVE FAST?

No. Hubby says if it were left to me, I'd drive in 3rd gear throughout.

13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL?

Nah ... never done that too.
14)STORMS–COOL OR SCARY?

Cool... cool .... cool
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR?

Never owned a car ... dad and hubby do though ;-)

16) FAVORITE DRINK?

Coconut water

17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…

Knit more

18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI?

No
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE?

Black again ... my hair is turning brownish
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN?
Everywhere I have lived has been home.
21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH?

None
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?

She has some very interesting recipes in her blog ... and always leaves encouraging comments.


23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED?

Nothing
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN??

Yes, with a little correction here and there ;-)


25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL?

Night owl

26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP?
Both
27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX?
I am more relaxed when we go for weekend overnight trips to nearby coasts .

28) FAVORITE PIE?
Anything that is salty and spicy ... i don't like the sweet ones.
29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
Tender coconut
30) OF ALL THE PEOPLE U HAVE TAGGED, WHO IS THE MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND FIRST?

Since this is not a competetion anyone can take their own time and answer.
31) What are five things on my to-do list for today (non-work related)?
I don't have any such deadlines ...
32) What are five snacks I enjoy?
Chire bhaja
Masla muri
Buttered Cream Cracker biscuits
Chopped apple sprinkled with chaat masala
Peanuts roasted in butter and sprinkled with pepper powder

33) What things would I do if I were a billionaire?
Buy an island in Hawai ! :-))

Thanks Sailaja !!

Since am very new to this thing I don't even know what to do other than I should tag others. Since I now know these few good people am tagging them.

I hope any goof ups will be excused. I am tagging

Rashmi of Delhibelle

Bharti of Veggie Foodist

Swati of Chatkhor
Have a great time tearing your hair out guys!!

14 comments:

  1. oopsy u made achar urself.. i am totally dependent on my sweet mumma(mil) for all my achars ... she is d ultimate with it... great going re...
    and bishon dhonnobad for tagging me....
    i have done this one before but will definitely relink it.... and u dont do goof ups... forgive my goof ps with my bong but i love to try my hands on it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm ... goof up no.1 .. but u put it so sweetly am not feeling bad ...and your bangla is cute yaar .. love to see these ...u always manage to put a smile on my face ..even in your posts u r hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharmila,
    I usually make chilaas with soaked moong dal but when in a hurry besan works just as well. Thanks for appreciating my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharmiiilla!!
    Uh uh...the tag..yaar, I don't have the time to think so much about me!
    OK.thanks for the tag..but it'll take me a while before I can post it OK.
    The achar looks yum. I too, like Swati, am dependent on my mom for the achaars. She makes a huge batch and sends me some when anybody heads this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too good Achar. I make pickle when I get good mangoes little bit different version the way my mom told which I store it for 6 months.
    Your meme looks good.
    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheetal!
    Welcome to my blog!

    Thanks Vegetable Platter!

    Bharti
    It is the first time I made an achaar ... that too with masala made and given to me.

    Sailaja
    Am glad you like it.Please do share your diff version ... mom made recipes are always a boon for us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely achar ....Love reading ur meme

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sireesha! Do keep visiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thoroughly enjoyed reading your meme, Chetan Bhagat's books are not my type too!
    And you are one expert cook, making achaar at home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the compliment Rashmi ... :-) and am looking forward to your meme now ... hehe .. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey achaar looks yummy....thats a nice meme to read..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sharmila,
    Something is waiting for u in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Hetal!
    Am glad you liked it .. hope it gave you a few laughs.

    Sailaja!
    Thanks so much !! You are too generous!

    ReplyDelete


Please do not spam.