Tuesday 3 June 2008

Paapad ki sabzi

When I got married to a Rajasthani I had no idea of the one surprise I was in for .... the assault of hing on my olfactory senses.Hubby is a pure vegetarian (no ....he is an eggetarian ) .... and I, a pure non-vegetarian. Still I was not daunted ... but I had no idea hing was lurking at the corner ... ready to scare me till I turned tail. Nah .... it took some time ....but today I use hing with just as much abandon as needed when cooking a Rajasthani dish (can't say I relish it though). ;-)
Paapad ki sabzi is very easy to make and hardly takes any time. It is for those times when you are in a hurry ....or your larder is almost empty.




Need : Any paapad of your choice (lightly dry roast and break into medium sized pieces ), 2 cups dahi (curd), 1 teaspoonfull besan, haldi powder, a pinch of hing, red chilli powder,jeera, 1 tablespoonfull cooking oil and salt.

How to : Mix the besan to the dahi and beat well so there are no lumps. (The besan prevents the dahi from curdling). Heat a little oil in a kadhai. Add jeera and hing.Then add the curd mixture. Add haldi and red chilli powder and salt. Keep stirring till it comes to a boil. Now add the paapad pieces and boil some more ... till the desired concistency of gravy.
Serve hot with rotis or steamed rice.
This is a spicy dish .... so tastes better if the dahi is slightly sour..... or else add around 1 teaspoonfull of amchur powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please do not spam.