Thursday, 31 July 2008

Kundru ki sabzi


Ever since kundru bashing started on blogosphere I have been dying to try it. I must have bought this vegetable not more than a couple of times in my entire married life. And now ... at the cost of being ticked off as a deliquent ... I admit that I bought these just to try my hands on them.
It was fun ... smashing up vegetables instead of the painstakingly cutting / chopping them and still be able to dish them out perfectly.
I made them as usual ... simple. Instead of adding the powdered masalas later I added them to the kundrus first .... MIL does most of her cooking this way.
Need : Kundrus, haldi powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, dhania powder, saunf powder, jeera, hing, 1 tbsp cooking oil and salt to taste.
How to : Wash the kundrus and cut off the ends. Crush them. Add all the powder masalas and salt to it.


Heat oil. Add jeera and a pinch of hing. Add the kundrus and fry well. Cover and cook till the kundrus are done .... add a little water if needed.
Great with rotis.

14 comments:

  1. Great, again a new style! We too make this but I always chop them round. I could do this in moments of anger - its a good way to let off steam too;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a kundru? The photograph looks like a tindola - I am sorry I am a pacca gujarati, so am not familiar with names in other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Kundru Tindola all r the same... it looks smashing waiting to trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried your Kudru sabji yesterday .. it turned out well ... the only variation i made is to add methi powder and a pinch of sugar..

    Thanks for a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of thanks for trying it Manidipa and for letting me know. Methi powder sounds interesting .. maybe I'll try it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been so much fun smashing those....we have this tradtion during, diwali we smash something similar before taking shower to smash away evil from your life :) Came wandering around the blogsphere to your blog....u have some good cake collection ;)

    -Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Monica! That sounds an intersting ritual .. never knew about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sharmila,

    thanx for posting this sabzi here...i mean on the blog...hehehe

    but can u plz send me the complete recipe to make it like what all masalas are needed....thnx in advance....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rahul! I have given the recipe at the end of the post ... it is so short that I guess you have missed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooops...yeah sorry i missed that....but thnx anywayz....

    cheers
    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the idea Sharmila. The sabji turned out well. Perhaps, I am going to use the smashing idea quite often now :-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nidhi! Glad you liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its exallant . No need of garlic . Ginger even curry leaves. Thankyou very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just came across this blog and found this the simplest among the recipes!i tried it immediately and liked it a looot!!
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing Kichu Khonn( a few moments ) with me in my kitchen!