Thursday 31 July 2008

Kundru ki sabzi


Ever since kundru bashing started on blogosphere I have been dying to try it. I must have bought this vegetable not more than a couple of times in my entire married life. And now ... at the cost of being ticked off as a deliquent ... I admit that I bought these just to try my hands on them.
It was fun ... smashing up vegetables instead of the painstakingly cutting / chopping them and still be able to dish them out perfectly.
I made them as usual ... simple. Instead of adding the powdered masalas later I added them to the kundrus first .... MIL does most of her cooking this way.
Need : Kundrus, haldi powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, dhania powder, saunf powder, jeera, hing, 1 tbsp cooking oil and salt to taste.
How to : Wash the kundrus and cut off the ends. Crush them. Add all the powder masalas and salt to it.


Heat oil. Add jeera and a pinch of hing. Add the kundrus and fry well. Cover and cook till the kundrus are done .... add a little water if needed.
Great with rotis.

18 comments:

  1. Great, again a new style! We too make this but I always chop them round. I could do this in moments of anger - its a good way to let off steam too;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a kundru? The photograph looks like a tindola - I am sorry I am a pacca gujarati, so am not familiar with names in other languages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Kundru Tindola all r the same... it looks smashing waiting to trying it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried your Kudru sabji yesterday .. it turned out well ... the only variation i made is to add methi powder and a pinch of sugar..

    Thanks for a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of thanks for trying it Manidipa and for letting me know. Methi powder sounds interesting .. maybe I'll try it too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been so much fun smashing those....we have this tradtion during, diwali we smash something similar before taking shower to smash away evil from your life :) Came wandering around the blogsphere to your blog....u have some good cake collection ;)

    -Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Monica! That sounds an intersting ritual .. never knew about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. sharmila,

    thanx for posting this sabzi here...i mean on the blog...hehehe

    but can u plz send me the complete recipe to make it like what all masalas are needed....thnx in advance....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rahul! I have given the recipe at the end of the post ... it is so short that I guess you have missed it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooops...yeah sorry i missed that....but thnx anywayz....

    cheers
    rahul

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the idea Sharmila. The sabji turned out well. Perhaps, I am going to use the smashing idea quite often now :-))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Nidhi! Glad you liked it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its exallant . No need of garlic . Ginger even curry leaves. Thankyou very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just came across this blog and found this the simplest among the recipes!i tried it immediately and liked it a looot!!
    thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never thought that the humble tendli (as kundru is called in mumbai) could transform so easily into something my family is eating with relish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all ... for not going by the photograph and believing in the recipe. :-)
    I am so glad it turned out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this recipe today with a few changes like i added dry besan powder to all other spice powders and also a pinch of sugar. for the tempering i also added ajwain. came out so well. so simple and full of flavour. A new take on the same old boring round cut kundri vaja that i am used to eat and i loved it. thanks ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you liked it Barnana. Thank you for letting me know.

      Delete


Please do not spam.